Scene work and monologues for theater students

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

42nd Street

(Dorothy Brock is an established - and aged - Broadway star, who broke her ankle in on opening night - and was replaced by a younger, prettier, and more talented chorus girl named Peggy Sawyer.)
DOROTHY:I've got something to say to Miss Sawyer.
So, you're going to take my place. And you think you know how tough it must be for me? Do you really? I'm not so sure. Ever since I was a tiny little girl and saw my first Julian Marsh show I've dreamed of the day when I might work with the King of Broadway. And, my day had finally come, and I was filled with pride, joy and humility. Not to mention my happiness at a contract with a limousine, a redecorated dressing room, a private maid, and quite a hefty salary. When I started out for the theatre this afternoon, I wanted to tear your heart out. I wanted to hate you, I wanted to see you fail. You, singing my songs, wearing my costumes, playing my role! But sitting there in that theatre and watching you rehearse, I found I couldn't hate you... Because... you're good. Maybe even better than I would have been. The public wants youth, freshness, beauty, and Peggy, that's what you've got. Only I'm getting something too.
For ten years the theatre has kept me from the only thing I've ever wanted. And it was a broken ankle that finally made me realize it. Pat Denning and I were married this morning! I have only one last wish for you, my dear. Get out there and be so swell you'll make me hate you.
Oh, and Sawyer, one more thing. I hope you won't mind, but it's about the next-to-closing number. You've got to take it easy, you've got to let the audience come to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home