Scene work and monologues for theater students

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Raising Arizona

(Planning to steal a baby from a wealthy couple who had five babies, Hi McDonnough goes into the house while his wife Ed waits in the car. When he gets inside things don't go so easy. Babies cry and make noise, he comes back empty handed. This is where our scene begins)
Ed: What's the matter?
Hi: Sorry honey, it just didn't work out. (reaching for the car door, but Ed quickly locks)
Ed: What d' you mean it didn't work out?
Hi: They started crying, then they were all over me.... It was kinda horrifying- Lemme in honey.
Ed: Course they cried! Babies cry!
Hi: I know that now! Come on honey, we better leave-
Ed: You go right back up there and get me a toddler. I need a baby Hi. They got more n they can handle.
Hi: Aw honey I-
Ed: Don't you come back here without a baby.
(Hi goes back to get the baby while Ed waits nervously in the car. Moments later he comes back with a toddler)
Ed: Which one you get?
Hi: I dunno. Nathan Jr. I think.
Ed: Gimme here.
(Hi hands her the baby and a copy of Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care)
Hi: Here's the instructions.
Ed: OH, he's beautiful.
Hi: he's awful damn good. I think I got the best one.
Ed: I bet they were all beautiful. All babies are beautiful.
Hi: Yeah. This one's awful damn good though.
Ed: Don't cuss around him.
Hi: He's fine, he is. I think it's Nathan Jr.
Ed: We are doin the right thing aren't we, Hi? I mean they had more n they could handle.
Hi: Well now honey we've been over this and over this. There's what's right and there's what's right and the twain shall meet.
Ed: But you don't think his momma'll be upset. I mean overly?
Hi: Well, o course she'll be upset, sugar, but she'll get over it. Shes's got four little babies almost as good as this one. It's like when I was robbin convience stores....
Ed:(Bursting into tears) I love him so much!
Hi: I know you do honey!
Ed: I love him so much!
Hi: Yeah, yeah. I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home