Scene work and monologues for theater students

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof act 1 scene 1

Brick: I've dropped my crutch.
Margaret: Lean on me.
Brick:No, just give me my crutch.
Margaret: Lean on my shoulder.
Brick: I don't want to lean on your shoulder, I want my
crutch! Are you going to give me my crutch or do I have
to get down on my knees on the floor and-
Margaret: Here, here, take it take it!
Brick: Thanks.
Margaret: We musn't scream at each other, the walls in this house have ears...but that's the first time I've heard you raise your voice in a long time, Brick. A crack in the wall? Of composure? I think that's a good sign...A sign of nerves in a player on the defensive!
Brick: It just hasn't happened yet.
Margaret: What?
Brick:The click I get in my head when I've had enough of this stuff to make me peaceful....Will you do me a favor?
Margaret:Maybe I will. What favor?
Brick:Just, just keep your voice down!
Margaret: I'll do you that favor, I'll speak in a whisper, if not shut up completely, if you will do me a favor and make that drink your last one till after the party.
Brick:What party?
Margaret:Big Daddy's birthday party.
Brick:Is this Big Daddy's birthday?
Margaret:You know this is Big Daddy's birthday.
Brick:No, I don't I forgot it.
Margaret:Well, I remembered it for you.
Brick:Good for you Maggie.
Margaret:You just have to scribble a few lines on this card.
Brick:You scribble something MAggie.
Margaret:It's got to be your handwriting; it's your present, I've given him my present; it's got to be your handwriting!
Brick:I didn't get him a present.
Margaret:I got one for you.
Brick:All right. You write the card, then.
Margaret:And have him know you didn't remember his birthday?
Brick:I didn't remember his birthday.
Margaret:You don't have to prove you didn't!
Brick:I don't want to fool him about it.
Margaret:Just write "love, Brick" for God's-
Brick:No.
Margaret:You've got to!
Brick:I don't have to do anything I don't want to do. You keep forgetting the conditions on which I agreed to stay on living with you.
Margaret:I'm not living with you. We occupy the same cage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home